I absolutely loved and greatly benefitted from everything I learned in yearbook and newspaper as a student throughout my high school years! I continued to develop those skills in college and even beyond with many other projects, which significantly utilized those skills in my personal life and in the workforce. Today, I still use those skills in my everyday life in many, many ways. Thus, all that to say, I can personally attest to the infinite value and impact creating a yearbook has on a student. Additionally, it is an amazing and fun experience like no other! As yearbook creators, students are historians, journalists, and artists putting together a photojournalistic book that will be on shelves for many, many years to come. It is an honor and a big responsibility to be a part of a yearbook staff!
Students will gain skills in page design, publishing techniques, copywriting, editing, photography, record keeping, time management, teamwork, marketing, and leadership. Students are tasked with producing a timeless, creative, and innovative publication that will effectively and beautifully record our community memories and events for all to enjoy.Also, we will work to create a genuinely journalistic product which will have credibility with its audience; Using an editorial approach, students will gain additional skills in business, graphic design, visual communication, and collaborative relationships; all of which will serve them very well no matter what they decide to pursue in the future.
To capture and record the BVC school year, students will:
- Write compelling headlines and captions in an appropriate journalistic style.
- Use proper photojournalism techniques and learn necessary photography skills.
- Design and produce the 2020-2021 BVC yearbook as an attractive, high-quality publication.
- Edit, proofread, and evaluate their own and others’ work.
- Work as a team with time constraints (DEADLINES) and budget limitations.
- Learn and use effective sales and promotional techniques.
- Design and create page layouts (graphic design).
- Apply computer skills and design principles and work with various types of technology and software.
This class will have the content, needs, and goals which will appeal to a wide variety of homeschool students and make it a win, win for all those who choose to step up for the challenge of putting a yearbook together. The course is utilizing 2 class hours at BVC since it is needed to allow students to have class time for completing their yearbook work as well as ample time to complete lessons and learn skills during the class. This should help curb the need to work outside of class. However, the commitment still demands the ability to work out of class when needed.